WE HAVE A NEW BABY!
It's true. Most everyone knows this, but here is where I tell all the details of the event. I was due June 19th. I was scheduled to have my c-section on June 19th. I had the week before my scheduled c-section all planned out. June 12th I had a hair appointment, June 13th I had an OB appointment, June 14th I was going to lunch with my co-workers because one of them was retiring, and June 15th I had an ortho appointment. June 17th (Father's Day) Elder Bednar was coming to our stake conference and I was going to be singing in the choir. Then on the 18th I was going to take off the day from work to get everything organized and ready. So June 19th at 7:30 a.m. I was going to have Lucy. I had a plan - that's the kind of girl I am - a girl with a plan. Well, come to find out - the Lord (and Lucy) also had plans - but we did not have the same plans in mind. Dang it. June 12th, I had my hair appointment - awesome-ness. June 13th, I woke up at 4 a.m. and really had to go to the bathroom. So I got up and went to the bathroom....and after I had gone to the bathroom, the fluid just kept coming. When my water broke with Benjamin I was also going to the bathroom (but at the hospital) when it happened, so I knew what to look for. At any rate, I looked in the toilet and I was pretty certain my water had just broke...well, I thought I was. I stood up and had to sit back down on the toilet. Dang it!!! Not in the plan. So I was thinking that maybe I was just over reacting. So I went and laid down. I got an occasional cramp (contractions apparently) but nothing painful or consistent. So after going to the bathroom again to let some of the fluid out, I decided that I should probably just get up and get ready. So at 5:30 a.m. I took a shower and started getting ready. I didn't want to wake Josh up because I knew he would need the sleep, I didn't want to alarm him, and I wasn't having contractions too painful to bare. So finally at 6 a.m. I decided it was a good time to tell him. He was a little taken back, but then started to hyper ventilate just a little bit. Mostly he was not sure what we were going to do with Benjamin. I knew exactly what we were going to do - we don't have the best neighbors in the world for nothing. So I told Josh to call Jessie. She knew right away what was going on. Josh says, "We think my wife's water broke." Yeah, not sure why he said "my wife" but it was funny. Anyway, she willingly took the day off of work and took care of Benjamin. If you don't know Jessica Lyn Nash Hylton - just know that she's nothing short of AMAZING!!!! So Josh took Benjamin over while I finished getting ready and packing. Josh had to ask the question of why on earth I was taking a shower and getting ready. He said that in the movies when a woman's water breaks they all start freaking out and run to the hospital. Thank goodness that I'd done this before - I knew I was alright because of my lack of contractions. Anyway, off to the hospital we went. We got there at 7 a.m. I told them I was scheduled for a c-section next week, but I thought that my water had broke. The nurses behind her and everyone else in the room immediately looked at me. The receptionist says - well that moves you up to the front of the list. They checked me in and the nurse came in. They told me it was good that I came in because it's better to be safe than sorry. PHEW - I was hoping to not feel dumb if this was a false alarm. The first nurse had me do a pee test in the toilet to check my urine. She asked if I had high blood pressure - I said no. She said that I had something in my urine that shows high blood pressure - OR it's amniotic fluid from my water breaking. So at that point I was pretty sure I was staying there that day to have a baby. The next two cute nurses came in (Marie -picture - and Sana)
and sure enough my water had, indeed, broke. We called some people on our way to the hospital, to tell them we were going to the hospital because we could possibly be having the baby that day - but now we had to tell them that we were for sure having this baby. SIX days before she was supposed to come - sigh. My mom was supposed to come on Sunday, so we told her if she couldn't be here right away, we understood. She said she might not make it till the next day, but she would see what she could do. I sent a text to my boss and she was not prepared for that either. Even my doctor was a little surprised. I told him that I wouldn't be making my appointment later that day. We had a good laugh about that. There were 2 c-sections ahead of me, so we had to wait till 11:15 to go in.
We ended up having to wait a little longer. We got back there and they did a spinal block - not my favorite thing. However, I LOVED how great it worked. With Benjamin I had a fever of 101 and so when they finally got to the c-section I was shivering. With this one - I was completely relaxed. It was awesome. My doctor was cracking jokes as he was cutting me open. He said that they were taking their time with the c-section but if they needed to, they could be in the Olympics for how fast they can do a c-section. He asked what the sex of the baby was supposed to be right before he pulled her out...then he told us the good news that we didn't have to take the pink back. Awesome! The best thing that happened, that didn't happen with Benjamin, they gave her to me to hold as I was getting sewn up. I loved it. I also got to nurse her in the recovery room - also didn't happen with Benjamin. I was very grateful to have Miss Belinda there taking pictures of everything (but not the operation - only 1 other person allowed with me) so Josh didn't have to worry about it. The pictures are amazing. I'll try to post a few. When she has the slideshow on her blog, I will post a link to it. Amazing! Anyway, Lucy Marie was born at 12:04 p.m. June 13, 2012. She weighed 8 lbs 1 oz, 19.5 inches long and 8/9 apgar scores! Woot woot.
And...she's beautiful. She has the most amazing spirit about her as well. I love thinking that she was just a short time ago with our Father in Heaven. I had post pardum depression with Benjamin so there were a lot of things I didn't sit and think about. With Lucy I am a lot more aware of the Spirit. It is very humbling. I do know that she is an amazing little girl who will do amazing things. As I look at her and feel of her spirit and just know she will do great things, I think of our Heavenly Father and what He sees when He looks at us. It makes me realize just how much potential we all have and who we all can become. I love this little baby Lucy so much and I'm ever so grateful to be her mother - terrified and nervous - but so grateful. I didn't understand when people said, "I love being a mom." Especially when you hear people COMPLAIN so much about their kids. At any rate, I've become one of those people. I didn't get it before - how you could love these children who take and take and take so much out of you - but I get it now. Even on the days when everything seems frustrating - there are tender mercies in the form of a smile from my new baby, a funny joke from my 3 yr old, or my husband coming in as my relief pitcher. Wife and Mother are my two favorite titles because I have an amazing husband and two beautiful and inspiring children.
6 comments:
Congratulations Terra!
She looks so sweet, enjoy! Wish I lived close and we could ooo and aaaa over our newest additions in person.
What a beautiful story and fantastic pictures! Congrats on that new, gorgeous little girl! Welcome, Lucy!
Fantastic little girl Terra. I miss you at work, but am glad you get to take time to be with your kids. Congratulations!
I'm so happy for you and your little babies and I adore the name Lucy. My secret dream is to have twins - Luke and Lucy, how cute would that be and then our kids could be name twins! Way to go Huffs!
Oh wowzas, I'm really far behind on blogging and reading blogs. I love the post and the pictures you posted :) I love little Lucy and can't wait to teach her how to say 'Aunt Belinda'!
Post a Comment