Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Good Job


I like to read up on things to help me be a better mom - so one day I was reading up on some mom tips and one of the things that it said was that you should not tell your child good job.

HUH???

There was some type of explanation something about they will think they have "arrived" and will stop trying or something odd like that. I kind of thought it was weird. What am I supposed to say to my kids? "Well, that's nice, but I've seen better...." So, let's not give our children positive reinforcement because otherwise they will think they're good at something?

Needless to say, I still tell my son good job (gasp). But the frustrating part is that every time I tell him good job I wonder if I'm permanently scarring my child. So now after I tell Benjamin good job I always end it with "You're...uh...getting better at that..uhhhhh...keep it up...."

So I suppose if my child's accomplishments halt at a 4 year old level, I guess I'll know why.

Perhaps this is the result of me telling my child good job too much.


2 comments:

The Ballash Blog said...

Good job Cowgirl!

Ha ha! I worry about stuff like that too! I don't think saying good job could ruin a kid. I feel very proud of myself when someone tells me good job and I want to do better so that I can keep getting told "Good job". That's just my opinion though. :)

Melanie said...

That was a very thoughtful post, good job Terra!! Don't over think it, you're a great mom and I'm sure Benjamin will do good, great things past the age of four:)