I'm a nursing mother
BUT
I don't wear it as a badge or parade it around saying how people need to respect it more. I know - I just said that and yet here I am doing a blog post about it. I promise this is not a post about how every mom needs to breastfeed and if they don't they are the worst mom ever.
So here's my little soap box about nursing.
The first and foremost reason why I decided to nurse is that it's FREE! The second reason is that it's best for my babies - keeps them healthy and gives them all the nutrients they need. So, I'm all for it. That being said, I will never nurse in public - I'm not comfortable with it. If other women want to nurse in public, that's fine. But what I think is slightly annoying are all the women who say that all women should have the right to nurse in public and nursing power...yada, yada, yada. It's a personal decision I don't think it should be forced upon everyone. That's my opinion - take it or leave it.
On the subject of nursing vs. formula - who cares? I already stated why I nurse and I already stated that I think it's a personal decision. I think THE most important part of feeding a baby is that they get fed and that they get fed enough. Where it comes from doesn't matter. I hate the studies that say...Breastfed babies are better because.....Oh, formula is better because.... As long as the baby is growing and healthy does it really matter where the nutrients come from? Well, I guess some would say yes - but I'm not one of them.
And here are some pictures of my breastfed babies - if you put them next to formula fed babies you probably couldn't tell a difference!



2 comments:
Love this! I'm all about people doing what they want, but enough with the power struggles:)
I nurse too! I'm kind of a hippy mom though and I think nursing is better but I don't think that formula is of the devil or anything... it just makes me sad when moms are misinformed or weren't given good help from the lactation consultant so they have to quit because of latching problems or their milk dries up or something to that extent that could have been prevented. That's just my personal opinion. I'm definitely not perfect... I can't get my baby to drink from a bottle or eat solid foods so I guess you could say I don't have a lot of freedom to go out and about on my own. Everyone has their parenting weeknesses...
Post a Comment