Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Are two cars better than one?

We currently have 2 cars, however, the other day the family that Josh lived with in ID called him and asked if they could buy his car from him. They recently moved to Preston, ID and their oldest son needs a car for school. Josh's car is older and he hit a deer in it which made the air conditioning go out, but overall it's a good 4 door little Neon. So here are the pros and cons of selling the car and you let us know what you think - are two cars better than one?

PROS of selling the Neon
  • We'll have the money from selling the car to put a good payment on Josh's braces.
  • We won't have to pay for insurance for the car every month, giving us almost $50 more a month.
  • We won't have to pay registration for the Neon - again saving money.
  • We won't have to pay for gas or up keep for the Neon - saving more money.
  • We are having a baby next month and could use the extra money.
  • We have free buses here in Logan, Josh has a bike, and we have two legs for walking.
CONS of selling the Neon
  • A lot more planning has to be involved - especially when we have a child. Ex: When Josh has to work at night and I'm home with the baby I either have to take Josh to work or plan my night without the car.
  • A little more wear and tear on the Honda.
  • Emergencies happen - what if Josh or I have the car and something comes up and we need the car?
  • Josh has Sunday morning meetings and he drives everyone. I usually go with our wonderful neighbors, the Hyltons, but sometimes they're not in town or I am running late or need to go in early.
As I have thought about this and looked at this list I realize that it's a difference between money and convenience. We know that many of you have had experiences like this and so we're interested to hear your wisdom and insight on the subject. Even if you don't have experience on the subject, we're interested in what you have to say. Obviously in the end we will do what the Spirit prompts us to do, but this is a good way for us to get more insight on the matter.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

First, just want to say that it was GREAT seeing you on Saturday. Your family is awesome too.

Two cars can be better than one, but I've found over the last two and a half months that I can get along just fine without having a car during the day. If I have to take the kids to the doctor or something, I just drop Matt off at work. I've had an offer from a neighbor to call if I ever need help, and I'm sure many of my other neighbors would help in an emergency too.

I would be spending more money if I drove during the day, and not just on gas and insurance. I'd be tempted to run to the store more frequently. Or, if we were bored, I'd go buy something to take the kids somewhere. Now, instead of that, we're more creative, and we walk to the park or library or friend's houses.

Good luck with your decision!

Melanie said...

We survived for 7 years with only one car, sometimes it was difficult, but never so inconvenient that we regretted it. We're actually thinking of going back to one purely for financial benefits. Oh, and so Dustin can get a good workout riding his bike to work! It does take more planning, but it works.

PK and Doll said...

keep both. Really unless they are offering you a deal that you can't resist where (in the future) will you be able to find another form of transportation that is as inexpensive.

its paid for. keep it

amber said...

Joe and I got rid of one of our cars and bought a scooter. Obviously, transportation will be a little trickier in the winter, but we live a couple of blocks away from a bus stop. Family and friends have been really good about offering rides. Joe could always give Josh a ride to church on Sundays on the scoot. Wouldn't that be a cute cute picture?

Jen said...

Unless Josh can use a different method of transportation to work (ie bike, scooter, bus etc) I would keep the second car. Money seems to come and go so fast and you can't always plan. Besides, sometimes you will just want to get out of the house with Benjamin and speaking from years of expierence with kids, you just never know. We have had so many crazy hospital visits that one car would not work. Trevor has alway been able to meet me some places to give blessings and support.

Beth said...

Obviously, you know that we only have one car...and there have been only a few inconvenient moments. It helps that I make Paul ride his bike! :) j/k...i don't MAKE him, he chooses to. So, that's another pro...exercise!

Jessica said...

Hey girl is Jazzy. Regan and I have only had one car for over 2 years and it has worked out fine. We keep talking about buying another car but then were like no we don't really need it. I agree with alot of the other posts. It would be nice to have to cars but not necessary and having only one car has really saved us money.

Matt and Tracy said...

well, spoiled little me could not go without a car, but it's different living is sd than logan. logan does have free buses, but then again it also has cold, cold winters that never end :) it's always nice to be able to save more money though too. well, let us know what you decide to do!!!

i can't believe how soon you are due terra! how are you feeling???

Melissa said...

Me and Matt only had one car for along time. Being in Logan makes it pretty easy to only have one car because of the bus system, and everything is pretty close. I actually enjoyed having one car because I got a lot more exercise!
If you do decide to go to one car, a piece of advice: an umbrella stroller is a lot easier to take on the bus than a bigger one.