Wednesday, September 8, 2010

13.1 miles

I've never been a long distance runner. As of June 1st, the furthest I had ever run was a 5k (3.2 miles). In the last year I've really wanted to become a runner. So I started with a book...A Woman's Guide to Running - after that, I was hooked. I saw that the Top of Utah Half Marathon was on August 28th and that it was 95% downhill...PERFECT. So I started training. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. almost every day in order to train, I am proud to say that I have a stellar amount of determination!

Let's be honest, I'm not the thinnest french fry in the happy meal (bad analogy when talking about weight...I know). So this half marathon was also a very emotional battle for me. When I first ran 4 miles, I was so excited. Then I did 5 miles and I couldn't believe I had actually run THAT far. Mile 8 was probably my favorite accomplishment. Wow, 8 miles - further than I had ever imagined running. Every Saturday when I would run my long runs I would imagine myself crossing the finish line of the half marathon and I would start to tear up....as I was running. I know, pathetic. By the end of my training I was running 5 miles twice a week and then anywhere between 7 and 10 miles on the weekends.

Top left - me and Dolly running and me trying to look like I'm having fun for Mike Hylton to take my picture at mile 13. Next picture - me with my best friend Jessie...couldn't ask for a better one! Top Right - That's me in the bright pink in the center of the picture still a bit in the distance. Bottom left - Happiest family in the world (when Benjamin has had his nap). Next picture - I'm number one....okay more like 1006 - that was my bib number. Bottom right - Me chatting it up with my bestie - trying to get her to do it next year, but she might have a valid excuse next year. Not like the lame broken foot excuse she used this year!

RACE DAY - The night before the race I had a really hard time sleeping. I had so much anxiety! I think that I probably got about 4 or 5 hours of sleep....not a good idea when you're about to run 13.1 miles for the first time. At any rate, adrenalin carried me through. I went into this race alone, but soon found one of my friends from my Oakcrest days - Amanda AKA Dolly. I ran with her and her friend for part of the race. It was a first time half marathon for all of us. During the race there were many people that went through my mind. I thought of Josh, Benjamin, Mike and Jessie waiting for me at the finish line. I thought of cute Jaci Udy who would have loved to have been there running with me. I thought of Heidi and Clayton McMurdie EVERY time I saw someone running off the side of the road to use the bathroom. I thought of all of my running friends and everyone who supported me all the way....I had a lot of time to think, can you tell?As I was running, I kept thinking that I couldn't believe that I was actually doing this. By mile 12 my legs were burning, but I just kept plugging away. At the very end of the race, my favorite people were there! First I heard Mike Hylton yelling at me to move faster. Then I saw he and Jessie with Benjamin. When I finally got Benjamin's attention and continued to run past him, he was so upset that I didn't stop to chat. When I got to the end with all the people standing and cheering me on, I sprinted...and totally beat the girl next to me...wahew. At the finish line I saw my favorite person ever - Josh! It was the perfect ending to a great race. My time from crossing the starting line to crossing the finish line was 2 hours and 33 minutes. I didn't care about my time!

I DID IT!!!!!!!

Who's on for next year's Top of Utah Half Marathon?

7 comments:

Bec said...

I'm so impressed with you. I cannot even imagine running that far (and amen about the time- who even cares about that?)! Way to go! You're my hero. Officially. :)

Chelsea said...

SO proud of you Terra! Don't worry about the crying part. I cried the hardest at my first 5K. I would love to be your running buddy some day!

amber said...

Nice work. What a great accomplishment!

Andrea said...

Way to go!

Beth said...

Wow!! i am so proud of you! What an accomplishment. Amazing...just like you!

Kyle and Amanda said...

You rock! We rock! That picture of me trying not to cry... doesn't!

Clayton and Heidi said...

I am so proud of you Tara. It really is a great accomplishment.

I'm thinking about doing the Bryce Canyon half next year and also the Ragnar relay. Want in!?!

ps It brings tears to my eyes that everytime you saw someone run to go to the bathroom you though of us:) Ahh the sweet memories at mile 11!!!